The Rhode Island Lawyer Chapter of the American Constitution Society and Common Cause Rhode Island present:
The Politics and Process of Judicial Confirmations
The political process of judicial nominations can be puzzling. In recent years, the confirmation process often has bogged down and become more contentious with the result that many judicial vacancies in federal courts have remained unfilled for lengthy periods of time. Our distinguished panel will attempt to demystify the process, giving an insiders’ perspective on nomination hearings, the political struggles behind them and the details of the process in general.
With an address by:
The Honorable Sheldon Whitehouse
Senator (D-RI), United States Senate
- The Honorable Ernest C. Torres, Senior Judge, U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island
- David Fontana, Associate Professor of Law, The George Washington University Law School
- Jared A. Goldstein, Professor of Law, Roger Williams University School of Law
- Emily J. Sack, Professor of Law, Roger Williams University School of Law
And moderated by:
- Michael J. Yelnosky, Professor of Law, Roger Williams University School of Law
Monday, November 8, 2010
Reception: 6:00 p.m.
Program: 6:30 p.m.
The University Club of Providence
219 Benefit Street
RSVP by CLICKING HERE.
This event is free of charge.
Hors d’oeuvres and beverages will be provided.
Please note that attire is business casual. Men are required to wear collared shirts, and no denim is allowed.