The Providence Journal reports that Rhode Island Governor announced five nominations to the Superior and District Court benches on Friday.
- Brian Van Couyghen – nominated to fill the Superior Court position held by Supreme Court Judge Gilbert V. Indeglia before his elevation to the state high court.
- Sarah Taft-Carter – nominated to fill the seat left open when Alice B. Gibney became presiding justice of the Superior Court.
- Walter R. Stone – nominated to replace O. Rogeriee Thompson, who President Obama named to the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Stephen M. Isherwood – nominated to fill the seat left open when Jeanne E. LaFazia became chief judge of the District Court.
- Colleen M. Hastings – nominated to replace Judge Michael A. Higgins, who retired this year.
The state Senate must reconvene and vote on these nominations before they are to take effect.