According to the Projo 7 to 7 News Blog, the Judicial Nominating Commission has selected eight candidates to interview for the vacancy created by Judge Mark A. Pfeiffer’s retirement from the bench earlier this year.
- Robert Clark Corrente, US Attorney for the District of Rhode Island;
- Brian Van Couyghen, a private practice lawyer & legislative counsel for the General Assembly;
- William J. Ferland, Assistant Attorney General;
- Stacey Pires Veroni, chief of the Attorney General’s criminal division;
- Rebecca Tedford Partington, deputy chief of the Attorney General’s civil division;
- John R. Gowell Jr., an attorney with Burns & Levinson LLP;
- Brian P. Stern, Governor Carcieri’s chief of staff; and
- Stephen R. White, a probate judge in South Kingstown.
After their interviews, the JNC will select 3-5 names to forward to Gov. Don Carcieri. Carcieri can select from this list or any finalist that the JNC has recommended over the previous five years. The State Senate must then approve the choice.
Considering the backlog in state courts at the present time, let us hope that this process moves quickly.