As a follow-up to our previous post on interim Chief Justice Maureen McKenna Goldberg, we have learned that the Judicial Nominating Commission has selected 5 finalists to send to Gov. Carcieri for his appointment:
- Interim Chief Justice Maureen McKenna Goldberg
- Associate Justice Paul A. Suttell
- Associate Justice Francis X. Flaherty
- Associate Justice William P. Robinson III
- Superior Court Judge Francis J. Darigan Jr.
Since there were six applicants for this post, it is obvious that the candidate left off the final list is U.S. Attorney Robert Corrente. It should be noted that if Carcieri picks McKenna Goldberg or any other sitting Justice on the RI Supreme Court, then Carcieri will have an additional appointment to make to the state’s highest court.